Falling into Fall
Well, speaking of Fall, Clara had a fall yesterday. I was home alone with the girls. Elizabeth had just woken up from a nap so Clara and I went upstairs to get her. I was putting some laundry away in Clara's room and heard a thud. Best I can gather, she fell trying to climb into Elizabeth's crib...which she's done a hundred times before without incident (they love to lay there together, baby talking and laughing). At first I thought she must have hurt her head or back, but she kept complaining about her knee. She wasn't crying really loud and hard...just sort of whimpering so I knew something was really wrong. She was not herself at all. I carried her to the couch to lay there while I went back up and got Elizabeth. There was no sign of swelling or damage of any kind, but she couldn't put any weight on it so I called John and he came home right away. We took her to emergency and she seemed a lot better when we got there. She even fell asleep in the car on the way to the hospital. The nurse who assessed her was swinging her legs all around and she didn't complain at all. So obviously I started thinking I had overreacted. But when the doctor started squeezing her leg between her knee and ankle she cried out in pain and started crying just at the thought of walking on her leg so we were sent to the X-ray department where Clara had a great time smiling for the "pictures". Sure enough, when we looked at the X-ray there was quite a break...a distal spiral tibia fracture I believe they called it. Poor little thing. She was so brave though! The only time she really cried was when she was getting the cast put on. John held a popsicle in her mouth and that helped a little. She probably thought she was going to lose her leg or something. It's hard to understand for a 2 year old. Things sure are going to be different around here for the next 4-6 weeks. Neither John nor I have ever broken any bones so this is all new to us. She had a great day today even though she expected Daddy to take the cast off this morning with her pj's. She sat on the couch watching TV, doing puzzles, and colouring. We also went to town and ran some errands. I think we'll have to make an effort to have an outing everyday or she'll likely go crazy sitting in one spot all day long. I'm going to miss my little helper around the house too. When I'm nursing the baby I often rely on Clara to fetch things for me. She is such a little helper! I'm so proud of how brave she's being through all of this.
What else is new? This has been one BUSY week! Tuesday night John had deacon's meeting and didn't get home until well after 11pm. Wednesday and Thursday evenings I had Princess House shows and John was home with the girls. Now tonight John is out at small group. (We have to take turns going to Bible study when we're not hosting it.) Thankfully we're having a date night tomorrow night. Mom and Carl have offered to watch the girls so we can go for dinner and a movie. I'm so excited! It's been way too long since we've had any couple time, alone together.
Princess House has been going well. I've been doing no more than 2 shows a week...which is plenty for my schedule to handle. I'm really enjoying it though and getting to meet lots of great ladies. I'm planning a Christmas open house here at our place for all my previous customers and folks in the area.
We're planning a little trip down to New England again this fall. John has a week of vacation left so we thought we'd take a week in October and drive down to Rhode Island again like we did last year. There's so much we just didn't get to do on our quick getaway last year. We found a really good deal on a hotel near Providence. I absolutely can't wait to get off the Island for a week! I love living here, but every once in awhile you just start feeling like you need a big city fix. Boston fits the bill. In fact I'll probably come home at the end of the week grumbling about the woes of big city navigation and loving the fact that I live in a village of 300 people!
Here's some recent pictures. Hopefully I'll do a bit better at keeping this blog up to date in the future!
Well, Blogger is not letting me upload anymore pictures this evening so I'll just post this and try to put up some pictures another time. Sorry!
Well, Blogger is not letting me upload anymore pictures this evening so I'll just post this and try to put up some pictures another time. Sorry!

2 Comments:
My sweet Clara! What a big girl you are! I miss you soooo much and I am sorry that you have a hurt leg. I will pray that Jesus helps it to feel better real soon! I love you so much, Auntie Ellen
That is too bad about Clara's leg! And about you losing your little helper. Hopefully she is not too bored. Thanks for the update :) Looking forward to your pictures.
Post a Comment
<< Home